Monday, June 29, 2015

Getting Organized for Your Move

I mentioned before about my Google Sheets document where I'm keeping track of all things PCS/move related. I LOVE making lists mostly just because I love crossing things off. It makes me feel good to see what I've accomplished. So naturally I knew I needed a list (and we're talking a BIG list) for this move.

I have a notebook that I carry around with me for jotting things down. I'll also leave myself notes on my iPhone's notepad, but I knew for this that I'd need something more substantial. I use Google Sheets for work so I was already familiar with it's capabilities and how to use it. The best part about it is that it's SO easy to access. I already have the Sheets app on my iPhone and iPad for work - so I can always access it on the go. When I'm at my computer it's easy to pull up because it just opens up in your browser.

I have five tabs on my list. I'll run through a bit of what I've got on each tab, but they are: To Do, To Store, To Sell, To Buy and Unaccompanied Baggage. You may have more to add and I may need to add more as our move approaches, but for now this is a good starting point.

1. To Do

This is pretty straight forward. This is just my mega, huge, ultimate to do list. I've got everything from getting a new passport (mine recently expired, whoops!), to cleaning out my storage closet and micro chipping our dogs (more on that soon). Right now it's mostly big open ended things, but as the move gets closer I know I'll be adding a lot more specific things to this tab.

2. To Store

So while you're living overseas with the military they will store items for you that you choose to leave behind for whatever reason. For us, the main things we have on the list to store right now are expensive, electric items. This includes our KitchenAid stand mixer, blender and food processor and our Dyson. Why aren't we taking them? Well, we know that we definitely want to live off base and since the electricity is different in Germany any American items will at LEAST need an adapter for the plugs. This is if they're dual voltage. If they're NOT dual voltage, like the items I mentioned, then they will need to be on a transformer to run. Transformers are big, bulky, expensive and they suck down electricity. On top of that, items with motors that are run on transformers will PROBABLY work just fine in Germany, but the motor may burn out or they may not work when you come back to States. I've taken really good care of these items and know that they'll last for a long time so they'll be staying here for the three years that we're in Germany. We will also probably store some books, some of our art and things like my grandparents silver. Lack of storage is one of the biggest complaints I hear from people and we don't want to risk losing any of our valuables during the move.

3. To Sell

Following up with the electricity issue that I mentioned, we'll be selling off a lot of our smaller, inexpensive kitchen appliances like our coffee pot and toaster oven. We're on the fence about our TV's - we will likely sell off our older one and may store our newer one. We'll see! We plan on having at least one yard sale before we go to get rid of other things like our beach stuff and whatever else. Other things we'll be getting rid of: my flat iron, my blow dryer (again with the electricity issue) and whatever Yankee Candles/Scentsy bricks we don't use up between now and then.

4. To Buy

Again, somewhat straight forward, but also a little more complex than you might think. I've got some clothing items on there that I know I'll need - like a raincoat and boots. Then there are items that will need to be replaced like my flat iron, blow dryer and kitchen stuff. Some of this we'll get when we get there and some things like the flat iron I might buy here, but I'll make sure it's dual voltage so that I only need an adapter for the plug. Next are items that will be hard to get in Germany that we'll need or may need to replace in the next 3 years. Lots of things will be available for purchase at the BX or at German stores. However...say you need a new mattress or sheets. First, German bed sizes are different than the ones in the US. So right away you're only able to purchase things that are available at the BX or that can be shipped to you at your APO. For something like a mattress your only option will be the BX and those options may be limited in choices and in stock. We'll be replacing our couch before we go. Lots of people suggest bringing area rugs because many homes don't have carpet in them. If there are a particular brand of jeans that you like, you may want to buy an extra pair or two to take with you. I know my husband will be getting some cold weather uniform gear before we leave since we've heard that it can take a while for stock levels to be replenished in the BX. This will all come down to your personal needs/wants. Do your research! Check those Facebook groups and add things to your own list!

5. Unaccompanied Baggage

Right now this is my smallest list. When you move overseas your belongings will be moved in two different waves. Your household goods will be MOST of your stuff. This will travel on a boat and you can expect it to take 2-3 months. Then you'll also have your unaccompanied baggage. This shipment will travel by air to your new base and should only take a few weeks at most. Your HHG allowance may easily be 8,000-15,000 pounds, but your UB may only be 1,000 pounds. Seems like the biggest regret I've heard is not utilizing all of the allotted weight! There are tons of lists of what to include in this (check these out: one, two, three), but the idea is that you'll want things to set up your new place. Things you'll use immediately like some dishes and pots and pans to set up your kitchen. Maybe the rest of your clothes that couldn't fit in your suitcases. It could include bikes or children's toys. Many people will ship air mattresses too. Unfortunately you CAN'T ship large furniture or TV's, so there are some regulations. I added this tab for me so that when I see people talking about "oh I wish I'd added this to my UB", I can add it to my list. Hopefully by the time we're ready to sort things out with the movers I should have a pretty good idea.

Will you be starting a list? If you've been overseas, what are some things you could have done to better prepare in advance?

No comments:

Post a Comment